Introducing Carbon - A high performance mod framework

Death

• Administrator

ezgif.com-optimize_1.gif

The time has finally come to switch to Carbon! With full backward compatibility, all your existing Oxide plugins, permission, and user data will work seamlessly with Carbon. The benefit? Auto updating eliminates the need to update it every time a server update comes out, and dynamic hooks, so only the hooks needed by your plugins are called, eliminating over 600+ hooks being called, to name a few.

What Is Carbon

Carbon is a robust self-updating plugin framework for Rust designed with performance and stability in mind. It has complete backward compatibility with all Oxide plugins, permissions, and user data. It uses the latest C# and Harmony libraries to give developers the tools to let their creativity flourish!

Features

• Always Free - Carbon is, and will always be, free for both personal and commercial use.
  • Full-Time Team - We have full-time developers to maintain and improve Carbon every single day around the clock.
  • Auto Updates - Carbon updates itself and all dynamic hook DLLs at runtime, so you do not need to restart your Rust server when new builds come out.
  • Dynamic Hooks - A crucial distinction that makes Carbon so much different from other frameworks is that although we support all Oxide hooks (appx. +600), they are not called unless a plugin subscribes to them.
  • High Performance - The goal is to make the servers as performant as possible, learn from the community about new ways to do things, and high profiling for tracking any hiccups.
  • C#10 - Carbon natively supports the latest C# version with many improvements and optimizations. All plugins get compiled to the latest C# version.
  • Harmony 2.0 - Carbon runs on Harmony v2.0, which introduces higher performance Pre-&-Post-fixes and even faster transpiler calls, which 99% of running hooks use.
  • DRM Support - This new system allows anyone to create third-party APIs using tools for protecting your plugins from malicious intent.
  • Profiling - Carbon comes with a debug and a release version. The debug version has profiling in the background, designed to report calls and times taken in detail of functions loaded plugins execute. The release version is stripped to provide the fastest and best performance possible.
  • Developer & Admin Tools - We're introducing a few powerful tools for developers that handle many bad practices plugins often do. From cached CUI systems to built-in modules (plugins), Carbon brings servers all essentials needed, RustEdit extensions, modular admin panels where you can manage permissions, and more.
  • Carbon for Client We're working on a client version of Carbon that communicates with a Carbon server similarly to how CommunityEntity does with the UI. This will introduce new ways to create mods and even load custom 3D models, custom sounds, etc. TBA & WIP.

Ready to switch?

If you have any questions, please join our Discord server. Otherwise, you can download Carbon right away below! Please note Carbon will officially release in early March, but we highly recommend setting up a test server to ensure a seamless integration!

Documentation

Overview

Download

Alternatively, you can download it straight from our repository https://github.com/CarbonCommunity/Carbon.Core/releases/tag/production_build! For all of our non-production builds, check out https://github.com/CarbonCommunity/Carbon.Core/releases.

Our Links

Website - https://carbonmod.gg
Discord - https://discord.gg/carbonmod
Documentation - https://docs.carbonmod.gg

• Like 6
  • Love 12

• Death pinned this topic
  • Administrator
7 hours ago, NoxiousPluK said:

I see performance being named as the #1 factor/promise/reason to switch, and that sounds interesting - but are there any public metrics/benchmarks comparing the two frameworks?

It's the difference between having 600+ hooks loaded vs the handful you actually need. The performance gains in Carbon is abundant, and the biggest ones are purely based on the concept of Carbon and how it takes advantage of runtime patching vs injecting code into the assembly.

2 hours ago, LizardMods said:

I know this will work on Linux but what about Windows? 

Yes, of course. When you click download on the Carbon page it'll prompt you to choose windows or linux. https://codefling.com/carbon/carbon

• Like 1

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Andres Siilbek said:

how to switch from oxide to carbon. i have all time 80 running plugins. is all plugins fit to carbon?
(i searched that info but did not get 100% answers)

Yes they should. We recommend setting up a local test server just to be sure.

On 3/3/2023 at 3:17 AM, Death said:

It's the difference between having 600+ hooks loaded vs the handful you actually need. The performance gains in Carbon is abundant, and the biggest ones are purely based on the concept of Carbon and how it takes advantage of runtime patching vs injecting code into the assembly.

I got that part, that was in the initial description. I was asking if there is any benchmark information on it and where can I find it.

Hey all, anyone having an issue with WhiteThunders Backpacks or Davids WelcomePanel plugins after switching to Carbon? They will not load for me. WelcomePanel,  Backpacks and Carbon are latest versions.

image.thumb.png.eb07c570cda5e28cefc18e9546318b6f.png

image.thumb.png.625ec68e1bd365725c91c6d8e2e49310.png

Edited by Light Hammer

can you explain more on this DRM as everyone seems to be overlooking this.

Im not certain how you are implementing it but wont each plugin call home to make sure its a legit paid for copy

If all servers are calling home wont this alone affect the speed of the servers

Another question - im not keen on drm in my plugins as i like to edit the plugins to my own server taste and DRM will stop this.

So any plugin i have purchased until this point am i able to carry on downloading it in the future without DRM or will you make all plugins be forced to have DRM attached to it 

• Like 1

• Administrator
On 3/11/2023 at 9:18 AM, TomHud said:

can you explain more on this DRM as everyone seems to be overlooking this.

Im not certain how you are implementing it but wont each plugin call home to make sure its a legit paid for copy

If all servers are calling home wont this alone affect the speed of the servers

Another question - im not keen on drm in my plugins as i like to edit the plugins to my own server taste and DRM will stop this.

So any plugin i have purchased until this point am i able to carry on downloading it in the future without DRM or will you make all plugins be forced to have DRM attached to it 

No, DRM usually doesn't involve plugins phoning home. It's done once when the plugin is loaded, and that's it. As for editing the plugin, that's up to the license provided by the author. Paid plugins typically don't allow modification, even for personal use, to minimize the support overlap. But yes, this would prevent you from editing plugins. You'll want to communicate with the author to implement changes instead, which is why you should do either way, IMO.

7 hours ago, Death said:

No, DRM usually doesn't involve plugins phoning home. It's done once when the plugin is loaded, and that's it. As for editing the plugin, that's up to the license provided by the author. Paid plugins typically don't allow modification, even for personal use, to minimize the support overlap. But yes, this would prevent you from editing plugins. You'll want to communicate with the author to implement changes instead, which is why you should do either way, IMO.

so if we choose not to switch to carbon for whatever reasons will the plugins we have already purchased without DRM still be updated and available to us for using with oxide ???

• Administrator
On 3/13/2023 at 1:38 PM, TomHud said:

so if we choose not to switch to carbon for whatever reasons will the plugins we have already purchased without DRM still be updated and available to us for using with oxide ???

Again, it depends on the developer and the license of the file. If the file prohibits editing and/or can only be downloaded through DRM, that's how that's gonna be.

Edited by Raul-Sorin Sorban

46 minutes ago, Raul-Sorin Sorban said:

Again, it depends on the developer and the license of the file. If the file prohibits editing and/or can only be downloaded through DRM, that's how that's gonna be.

wait so if i dont want to use carbon i may eventually be forced to stop using the plugins i have paid for ????

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, TomHud said:

wait so if i dont want to use carbon i may eventually be forced to stop using the plugins i have paid for ????

No, what he's saying is that the majority of the plugins you paid for don't allow for editing anyways. So regardless if the author chooses to use DRM, you shouldn't modify files without the author's permission.

14 minutes ago, Death said:

No, what he's saying is that the majority of the plugins you paid for don't allow for editing anyways. So regardless if the author chooses to use DRM, you shouldn't modify files without the author's permission.

death u missing my point totally

I do not want to use Carbon - i want to continue using Oxide - Will i still be able to use the plugins that i have purchased from this site or will DRM be added to them which in turn means i cant use them as they need carbon ?