Twig Upkeep Multiplier

KingSizeKevin

22 hours ago, KingSizeKevin said:

Simple plugin that modifies the upkeep cost of twig by X amount in a config file.  

On PvE servers this would make twig much more expensive to maintain therefore giving incentive to upgrade to wood or better.

There are native convars in rust for this:
https://www.corrosionhour.com/rust-decay-upkeep-variable/

16 minutes ago, Gt403cyl2 said:

There are native convars in rust for this:
https://www.corrosionhour.com/rust-decay-upkeep-variable/

Upkeep applies evenly to all building materials.  Can't change upkeep cost of ONLY twig.  I want to make it expensive only for Twig to discourage building with it. 

Decay time is unrelated.

28 minutes ago, KingSizeKevin said:

Upkeep applies evenly to all building materials.  Can't change upkeep cost of ONLY twig.  I want to make it expensive only for Twig to discourage building with it. 

Decay time is unrelated.

You literally can, read the page.

Just change the upkeep period...
if twig was 3600, to set the multi to 2x change it to 1800, so in a 24 hour span it costs 2x as much.

Edited by Gt403cyl2

39 minutes ago, Gt403cyl2 said:

You literally can, read the page.

Just change the upkeep period...
if twig was 3600, to set the multi to 2x change it to 1800, so in a 24 hour span it costs 2x as much.

Please enlighten me what you see that I don't see.  The command is decay.duration_twig which affects the decay duration.

decay.upkeep applies equally to all build materials.

So tell me what I don't see on that page that you do?

55 minutes ago, KingSizeKevin said:

Please enlighten me what you see that I don't see.  The command is decay.duration_twig which affects the decay duration.

decay.upkeep applies equally to all build materials.

So tell me what I don't see on that page that you do?

SRTBull explains it better than I can...:

You guys are still missing the point.

That config only adjusts the decay rate after the base runs out of upkeep.

"How long should this building grade take to decay when not protected by upkeep, in hours"

I am saying if someone builds a twig base, then puts 10000 wood in it, then the daily upkeep cost should be more expensive.  Twig should cost like 1000 wood per hour so if the TC was entirely full of wood 100% it still wouldn't last more than 24 hours.  This will suck more wood out of the TC in order for it to get to a state where the TC is not protected by upkeep and decay begins.  This would discourage people from leaving their bases as pure twig.

Edited by KingSizeKevin

OK. So maybe instead of looking for a specific answer, let's get general : 

1. Your players are building twig megastructures, and the upkeep is low, so it encourages huge structures with minimal upkeep.
2. You would like to limit, or even rule out this behaviour.
3. You mention a PvE server, so I am led to believe your server is PvE, and therefore probably running TruePVE or a variant which prevents damage to the twig megastructures.
4. If you make twig breakable by anyone it will result in players crying over people shooting their still under construction buildings.
5. No matter what you do, the upkeep number on the TC iteslf will not change.

So, an idea :
1. Remove TruePVE protection from Twig.
2. Add in a raid protection plugin that runs off a given resource per hour, modified to ONLY count twigs, using wood as the "fuel" and set it to permanent protection. 
3. Net result : The twig structure will EAT wood if you set the raid protection plugin up right, and when the wood is depleted, the twig and any wood decays AND is vulnerable to raid.
4. The twig will decay at a normal rate + the amount set in the plugin.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2022 at 6:16 AM, The Friendly Chap said:

https://umod.org/plugins/upkeep-display-fix

You know the display of upkeep is bugged right?

What relevance does that have to making Twig upkeep be more expensive?  

Also your previous post was on point in what Im looking for.  Your suggestion is a good alternative, I'll try that.  Ultimately it would just be nice to have a simple plugin that increases wood rate consumption from TC at a much faster rate.   I know most PvE servers would appreciate this. Thanks for 

Edited by KingSizeKevin
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, KingSizeKevin said:

What relevance does that have to making Twig upkeep be more expensive? 

Even if you can make the system take wood faster, it won't show as increased upkeep on the cupboard. It shows standard upkeep. So the TC says he needs 5k wood a day, he puts in 5k, it eats it in 30 minutes and his base decays. 

The plugin I referenced is MIT licenced, so it could be adapted to purpose and just count the twig panels, and "TAX" the oke for twig to keep it indestructable. I'd make the twig EXPENSIVE, but not totally unaffordable. In certain places (roofs mostly) twig is aesthetically different. If a Guy wants to have a stone hut with a "thatch" roof, twig is what he has. But if you tax twig, wood structures suffer as well if you use wood to pay for things.

On my server, such things get dealt with, but require  "in universe" explanation so I run the twig tax on refined sulfur, and tell the players the sulfur is used to kill off the termites that otherwise infest and degrade the raw wood used in the twig construction, leaving it weak and easily broken. 

BUT that does mean if I have a guy with 2 braincells he can just feed his excess sulfur in and still have a mega huge base. Decay won't kill it for me.

PvE is a tough cookie to keep balanced.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...