Feedback on plugins Under Moderation

TomHud

When posting reviews they are always subject to moderation.

I think reviews should never go to moderation as you are stifling what people can and cannot say about how they have experienced a plugin.

If Codefling wants to be open and fair then the moderation should be removed as it leaves people with a sour taste when posting a review and it does not go though.

I have posted a few reviews and the last 2 have not even appeared.It was nothing nasty just giving my opinion that the plugin i purchased was not worth the asking price as it was very basic in its function.

Is this not relevant info to a person thinking of buying the said plugin ?

This is not a flame post at anyone but if 2 of mine never got though then how many others have been refused.

• Like 3

The reviews are editorialised, and I agree that this is wrong.

Sure, have a moderator check them, but all he needs check for is hate-speech or an advert. Anything else the buyer / user wants to say in a review should not be editorialised or denied. I've had several denied on the basis that they don't directly address the plugin, even if the review shows enthusiasm for the plugin. Some plugins have very little to say about the function itself, and commenting on the ready to help developer is also irrelevant apparently, so what do you say? 

It makes the reviews bland and homogenous. If someone has taken the time to write a poem praising the plugin, let it in. I'd sure as hell give the plugin a second look if I see a review like that, more so than if I see a plugin or map with 5 five star reviews from folks that clearly have never run the item on an actual live server, all on the day the item is released. People who got the item free leaving reviews. If they get it for free and the author says leave me a 5 star review, that has created a system where the reviews simply cannot actually be trusted.  I get giving someone a copy so they review it, but then mark those reviews (you know when a author has given an item for free to whom, so the review CAN be automatically tagged as "Product was received for free.") so people can factor in the bias that free items can receive. 

When a review is denied, the review you wrote is gone as well. So if you spent a half hour polishing a review for a plugin you really like, and the review gets denied, you can't go and edit it. Nope. Do it over. That also kind of sucks. 

• Like 3

Agree.

I've done a review with video proof of a plugin not working as description states and been told I need to go through support first.

I don't need support. I know that it doesn't work. Here is the video proof.

I believe some plugins that are very involved should be given somewhat of a pass. I consider myself 50% dumb fuck/50% god damned genius. Might be more like 52% genius cuz Mom always told me I was special🤪

Either way, if a plugin is supposed to do literally ONE THING, and it doesn't do that ONE THING, and you get shown video proof of it NOT doing that ONE THING, and you tell me I need to contact support for that ONE THING...

What exactly are you doing?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CeLL said:

Agree.

I've done a review with video proof of a plugin not working as description states and been told I need to go through support first.

I believe some plugins that are very involved should be given somewhat of a pass. I consider myself 50% dumb fuck/50% god damned genius. Might be more like 52% genius cuz Mom always told me I was special🤪

Either way, if a plugin is supposed to do literally ONE THING, and it doesn't do that ONE THING, and you get shown video proof of it NOT doing that ONE THING, and you tell me I need to contact support for that ONE THING...

If you wan the plugin to work then contacting Codefling is pointless.  They have nothing to do with that, they are just the vendor platform that hosts the sales page.
The appropriate course of action would be to hit the support page for the plugin and try to get the issues resolved.

4 minutes ago, Gt403cyl2 said:

If you wan the plugin to work then contacting Codefling is pointless.  They have nothing to do with that, they are just the vendor platform that hosts the sales page.
The appropriate course of action would be to hit the support page for the plugin and try to get the issues resolved.

Summer child. There is nothing anyone can do to make that particular plugin do what it says. I knew this before purchase. Just wanted to see the code behind it. Didn't want to, nor will I get into semantics about what plugin I'm talking about.

This particular thread is about how those who feel slighted because their reviews aren't being taken seriously, or being known/shown at all. Seems to be very heavy handed towards the DEV to say the least.

If the plugin doesn't do what it claims, first step : bug the dev. Get him to fix it. But if the dev ain't at least responsive*, preferably helpful, then one should be able to leave a review saying "Don't buy, this doesn't work and the dev doesn't wanna / can't fix it.".

*And I'm not expecting the bloke to instantly jump. But I am expecting an answer at least within 48 hours. Even if they say "Sorry, RL is messing me around, get to it ASAP."

Though the other thing there is : The plugin is RL. I paid RL money, for the rights to use a RL piece of code on my server. The dev has my money, and he got it for a working piece of code, and so I expect the dev to spend some RL time keeping up the RL product. I understand the devs have a life. Part of that life is an income, however minor, from the plugins we pay for and therefore the life they have contains a duty to maintain their products.

If it's free, I don't care how long they take, or even if it ever gets fixed, since I haven't paid anything and they're doing it for the fun. 

2 hours ago, CeLL said:

My reply was in response to this ^^.

I agree that reviews need to be transparent and agree that aside from straight flaming positive/negative reviews need to be handled responsibly  as a way to let others make informed decisions on what they want to purchase or not.

It's not semantics, which plugin you are speaking of doesn't matter, it's the statement that it should be Codefling's problem if you buy a product that doesn't perform as expected.

1 hour ago, CeLL said:

I knew this before purchase. Just wanted to see the code behind it.

I mean that just sounds like you went through a lot of effort to get mad enough to make a video of something not working just so you could peek at the code.....

8 hours ago, Gt403cyl2 said:

think your missing the point of what a review it - its just that a review of the plugin.Good or Bad its a review.

I have purchased many games on steam with a mix of good and bad reviews.So long as people are fair in their replies and not just flaming the coder then i think reviews should not be moderated.

I know Codefling is just the vendor but that excuse does not fly if they are moderating Reviews does it ?

Edited by TomHud

• Administrator
On 10/1/2022 at 5:15 PM, TomHud said:

When posting reviews they are always subject to moderation.

I think reviews should never go to moderation as you are stifling what people can and cannot say about how they have experienced a plugin.

If Codefling wants to be open and fair then the moderation should be removed as it leaves people with a sour taste when posting a review and it does not go though.

I have posted a few reviews and the last 2 have not even appeared.It was nothing nasty just giving my opinion that the plugin i purchased was not worth the asking price as it was very basic in its function.

Is this not relevant info to a person thinking of buying the said plugin ?

This is not a flame post at anyone but if 2 of mine never got though then how many others have been refused.

I'll admit we're struggling with over moderation as we establish a consistent bias across the moderation team. Generally speaking, a review that lacks substance, I.E any mention of the users experience, is not approved. Furthermore, reviews highlighting issues where the author has made no effort to seek help are also not approved. That may seem controversial but it's there to ensure users are actively reporting issues so the author is aware and not posting grudge reviews that most often never get updated even long after the author has resolved the issue.

On 10/5/2022 at 8:56 AM, The Friendly Chap said:

The reviews are editorialised, and I agree that this is wrong.

Sure, have a moderator check them, but all he needs check for is hate-speech or an advert. Anything else the buyer / user wants to say in a review should not be editorialised or denied. I've had several denied on the basis that they don't directly address the plugin, even if the review shows enthusiasm for the plugin. Some plugins have very little to say about the function itself, and commenting on the ready to help developer is also irrelevant apparently, so what do you say? 

It makes the reviews bland and homogenous. If someone has taken the time to write a poem praising the plugin, let it in. I'd sure as hell give the plugin a second look if I see a review like that, more so than if I see a plugin or map with 5 five star reviews from folks that clearly have never run the item on an actual live server, all on the day the item is released. People who got the item free leaving reviews. If they get it for free and the author says leave me a 5 star review, that has created a system where the reviews simply cannot actually be trusted.  I get giving someone a copy so they review it, but then mark those reviews (you know when a author has given an item for free to whom, so the review CAN be automatically tagged as "Product was received for free.") so people can factor in the bias that free items can receive. 

When a review is denied, the review you wrote is gone as well. So if you spent a half hour polishing a review for a plugin you really like, and the review gets denied, you can't go and edit it. Nope. Do it over. That also kind of sucks. 

Our review moderation is to ensure only relevant reviews are approved. Reviews customers can get a quick insight onto the experience other customers have received. If your review lacks any context to your experience it won't be approved. Even if your review revolves around praising the author, it wont be approved unless it's specific to the product you're reviewing.

I'd argue that not letting reviews in that are simple "good product" "responsive dev" makes reviews less bland. If you spent any decent amount of time on a review there's rarely a chance it'll lack any context to your experience, therefore would have been approved. If this is contrary to what you've experience please reach out. But I often review deleted reviews to ensure the tolerance threshold is met and to combat any inconsistencies.

On 10/10/2022 at 3:57 PM, CeLL said:

Agree.

Right off the bat, it sounds like you refused to reach out for support and instead attempted to leave a grudge review. If you make no effort to submit a support request then it's possible the author doesn't know it exists. Why leave a negative review instead of using the appropriate channel for support? Seems a bit personal IMO.

Summary

Our review process isn't typical. We want reviews to be a valuable tool for customers to get a quick glimpse at what they can expect from the product to reduce the chance of buyers remorse. Applying such scrutiny protects reviews from a lot of the examples provided above. Forced reviews (I.E people who received for free in exchange for a review), random author praising that has zero value to the specific product, and most importantly "lazy reviews" that provide absolutely no insight into the customers experience.

Of course you'll find contrary reviews out in the wild and that's simply because our guidelines for reviews have evolved over the years to push the usefulness of them beyond a confuckulation of forced reviews to boost a product's rating. It's still a work in progress and I hope you see what we're trying to achieve.

• Like 2

On 10/10/2022 at 6:01 PM, Gt403cyl2 said:

I mean that just sounds like you went through a lot of effort to get mad enough to make a video of something not working just so you could peek at the code.....

Nah, man. Not angry at all. First plugin publicly available of it's kind that I know of, and possibly still. Unsure as I'm a lil out of the loop with that. I had a few peso's burning a hole in my pocket. Wanted to see what was under the hood, ya know? It's easy to take plain text as something it isn't. I try to be as light-hearted as I can be by even poking fun at myself, but even then it's taken as an aggressive stance.

Truth be told, if the description of said plugin were changed then it'd be no issue. Description should only show what the plugin does. Not claim it will do something extra, like vastly improve FPS. In RUST 🤷‍♂️ That just ain't happening.

In 1 year it's been downloaded 22 times. Half of them probably from me, and the other half I imagine from testers. Because I was dropped on my head when I was a baby and file structure got corrupted., I need backups and possible human MEMTEST.

Either way, it isn't going to improve FPS by A LOT in RUST. I'd love to be proven wrong.

It's a clever plugin. First of it's kind.

Glad I got to see under the hood. Description was V8 FPS savior but it only has a straight 6 with 2 plugs missing under the hood 🤣

On 10/12/2022 at 12:47 AM, Death said:

Right off the bat, it sounds like you refused to reach out for support and instead attempted to leave a grudge review. If you make no effort to submit a support request then it's possible the author doesn't know it exists. Why leave a negative review instead of using the appropriate channel for support? Seems a bit personal IMO.

I don't have an issue with the author. I think they're quite competent actually, and admire them a bit for things they've done. I'm impressed with their work. Not impressed with false claims, though. Plugin should not state it will reduce FPS. That's wrong on many levels. It will not reduce FPS for players. Someone else might buy it and think it will help. It won't.... I don't believe I need to waste supports time to prove my point. I'd love to be proven wrong.