Looking to hire a .NET dev experienced in WinUI, able to learn SteamKitv2, and Steam OpenID

SturdyStubs

Hey there,

I am working on an installer for my Rust server's client. I run old recoil servers on the May 2022 versions (downloaded via Steam depots) and many have found it a struggle to download the game files via the Steam console as it isn't necessarily user-friendly. I want to create an installer/optional launcher that uses SteamKit to download the depots for the user, show a progress bar in UI based on the install status, verify the game files, and most importantly require users to login via OpenID (using my servers) to confirm the user owns the game before the download starts.

I already have the user interface sketched out in Figma which can be used to help you create the final product. We can discuss finer details in discord DMs @ SturdyStubs

Having worked on old Rust since 2018, an authorization isn't required by a 3rd party to check if a player actually owns Rust since the older clients do that natively with Steam already.

I might have an old design of a old Rust installer/launcher back when BPBlast was a thing, I'd have to look for it since it's been quite a few years since we shut everything down.

I'll reach out to you if I find it, else I wish you luck with your project.

16 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Having worked on old Rust since 2018, an authorization isn't required by a 3rd party to check if a player actually owns Rust since the older clients do that natively with Steam already.

I might have an old design of a old Rust installer/launcher back when BPBlast was a thing, I'd have to look for it since it's been quite a few years since we shut everything down.

I'll reach out to you if I find it, else I wish you luck with your project.

This is only to stay in compliance with copyright issues between Facepunch. The old method of giving people a compressed file to download is technically a violation of distribution laws regardless if DRM verifies a user owns the game. This installer would preferably use SteamKitv2 as it allows the ability to download directly from Steam depots which I personally think is important for this whole process and also allows for files to be verified.

32 minutes ago, Matthew Larsen said:

This is only to stay in compliance with copyright issues between Facepunch. The old method of giving people a compressed file to download is technically a violation of distribution laws regardless if DRM verifies a user owns the game. This installer would preferably use SteamKitv2 as it allows the ability to download directly from Steam depots which I personally think is important for this whole process and also allows for files to be verified.

Interesting, perhaps we should've done more reading about the distribution laws. Thanks for teaching me something!

In any case, I do wish well. Old Rust was the best Rust.